Today we’re giving you a sneak peek inside our “Anatomy Of A $9,750 Website Build”. This will give you an opportunity to see actual lessons from the training we have available.
These previews will each feature an entire lesson from the training, including everything you’ll get when you sign up. We hope this will give you a good idea of how the training can help you in starting and building your own web design business.
Today’s sneak-peek lesson will focus on SEO or “Search Engine Optimization.” Organic Search or “On page SEO” refers to your site structure and your website copy. You can boost your search engine ranking IF the content is written properly. This lesson will show you how to optimize your content for organic search engine results.
These efforts can translate into huge revenue streams for you and your clients. One of our clients generated $31,382 in income last month. You would think they had 50,000 to 100,000 website visitors to make that volume of sales. Not true! They had just 235 visitors last month. If you want your online business to be successful, you need to focus on building quality traffic.
It all starts with your keywords…
Adding keyword-focused content
We’re going to start with some general guidelines on creating keyword-focused content. We’ll get into more specifics later in this lesson.
One common misunderstanding is how search engines rank web content. Many think that sites are ranked in their entirety, but this is not the case: Search engines rank web content by pages, not by entire sites. (For this discussion, “pages” can refer to either pages or posts on your site.)
Because of this, the best strategy is to select a focus keyword for each page or post on your site. This will allow you to optimize each page or post for a specific keyword, which will in turn lead to higher rankings in the search engine results pages, also known as SERPs.
In addition to using keywords, here are some general recommendations on how to write your copy. These recommendations are designed to help you create content that appeals to both your visitors and the search engines:
- Use bullets and lists to help break up your copy.
- Use h1 and h2 tags where possible. Include your keyword phrase if it makes sense.
- Use short paragraphs and short sentences.
- Avoid text images where you could be using text instead. Search engines can only read text. They cannot see images or graphics.
- Write for your visitors first and search engines second. Your website should always make sense for your visitors because you want visitors and clients. Clients may be scared away by copy that isn’t clear to them.
- Search engines will give you a better ranking if real people use and link to your website.
- Use your keyword phrase where possible instead of “it”. For example, use “my web design services…”, not “my services…” or use “websites are…”, not “they are…”
- Focus on search phrases, not keywords. Most people search for more than one word, so the more specific you can be, the better. For example, use “custom website design…”, not “website…”
- Use your location. Even if you can and want to work all over the world, you can rank much higher for your location because there is less competition. Whenever you mention your location, be specific. Say “in McKinney, Texas…”, not “in my city…”
- Use variations of your keyword phrase, like past tense, plural, etc.
Using WordPress SEO by Yoast to optimize your content
Returning to our Stover Tree Service example site, we’re going to use WordPress SEO by Yoast to determine how to optimize our first post. We can start by opening our post in the Post Editor:
If we scroll down in the Post Editor we can see the ‘WordPress SEO by Yoast’ panel, which opens on the ‘General’ tab:
The first thing to notice is that we haven’t yet included a Focus Keyword. We can add a keyword phrase here, and Yoast will provide common keyword phrase suggestions:
Tip: Long-Tail Keywords
When you’re first starting to optimize a site, you’ll find it much easier to rank for your keywords if you use Long-Tail Keywords. This simply means using a larger keyword phrase, that includes more words, as opposed to using a basic phrase. In this example, it will be much easier to rank for ‘tree trimming service fort worth tx’ than it would be to rank for just ‘tree trimming service’.
Once we’ve selected a phrase, Yoast will show us the important areas where it should be included, and how our post currently performs in these areas:
This gives us a clear indication of the steps we need to take in order to have our post rank in the search engines using organic search.
The final fields on the General tab are the SEO Title and Meta Description fields:
Whatever we enter in these fields will appear in the SERP where our page is listed. We can also see a preview of what our listing will look like at the top of this tab:
We recommend that you review and consult The Definitive Guide To Higher Rankings For WordPress Sites by Yoast to learn and understand all of the powerful features this plugin provides.
Generating referral traffic with link building
Referral traffic is an important piece of Organic Search, and is also referred to as link building. Link building is simply generating links to your site from other, related sites. One of the factors that search engines weigh heavily is how many related sites are linking to your site, along with the quality of these sites.
Creating a referral traffic strategy
At the heart of getting referral traffic is providing some incentive for the referrer – the website linking to your web site. Here are some reasons they would link to you:
- You provide a valuable service or product their visitors could benefit from. This is the best kind of referral traffic, because it is essentially a recommendation for your business.
- You provide valuable information their visitors could benefit from. This is not as powerful as the referral traffic mentioned previously, because it is not a direct recommendation for your product or service. However, if you provide valuable information, you can nurture those referrals over time and turn them into clients.
Returning to our Stover Tree Service example, here are a few ways we can get direct referrals (recommendations) for a tree service business:
- Register with online business directories. This is a quick and easy way to build up your referral traffic. Here are a couple of example directories we could use for Stover Tree Service:
- iBegin.com. This is a free site that includes listings for tree service companies in the Fort Worth area.
- Dallas Fort Worth Business Directory. This is a paid directory, with pricing starting at $239.99 per year.
- Establish relationships with complementary home-service businesses. Lawn care, pest control, plumbers, painters, and roofers could all be good businesses to target for referrals. Basically any business that works in or around the home could refer their clients to you. It would make sense for a lawn care company to have a referral link to the Stover Tree Service site on their site, and it would benefit their visitors.
Here are some additional ways we could generate referral traffic for Stover Tree Service:
- Blog A blog is a great way to provide valuable information in the form of short articles. A popular blog can attract a steady flow of referral traffic, as other sites will post links to the articles to help their readers.
- Report One of the reasons homeowners should use a tree service company is that healthy trees add significant value to a homeowner’s property. A simple report could be packaged with information about how homeowners can add $20,000 of value to their home. This report could be given away on our client’s website, and would be a good reason for other websites to link to us.
- Assessment A tree service company could provide a free tree health assessment. This is a valuable piece of customized “information.”
- Newsletter A newsletter can be a powerful traffic generator. It could include tips on how to care for your trees, and could even provide a broader range of information on home care and services.
This lesson is from our “Anatomy Of A $9,750 Website Build” project. With this high-end client we need to fully optimize the Stover Tree Service site to get the best rankings. You can do this for your clients too. Just look over our shoulder and watch us build this website from start to finish. Then follow our step-by-step training for your sites and your clients’ sites.